Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Conflict Resolvement

Everyone deals with conflicts differently or in their own way. Some people use the avoiding tactic. This is trying to stay away from the problem so one does not have to deal with it at that moment. Another way of dealing with conflicts is accommodation. This is letting the other individual have their way in the fight for the better of the relationship. The third way of dealing with a conflict is competing. This is where both individuals believe they are right and will not back down from their side in the fight. The next tactic is compromising. This is a give and take type of way of dealing with the issue at hand. Both individuals give up something they want to receive something on the other end. The final way of dealing with a conflict, which is the best, is collaborating. This is where both individuals work to find the best resolve for the problem. They work at the problem until both persons needs are met.
I use the competing style of dealing with a conflict. I like to be right all the time. The problem in that lies with my girlfriend. She also likes to be right, a lot. We butt heads and fight till the end all the time. Neither of us want to give up. I will stand my ground in a situation until one of two things happen. One, I get my way and usually feel like crap about it because by this time my girlfriend is really upset. Or two, I finally settle for a happy medium.
Both my girlfriend and I exert all of our options while competing to be right, until we finally have to stop and find solution that both of us can live with.

No comments:

Post a Comment